NOTIFICATION FOR PUBLIC DISCLOSURE ON THE ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (ESIA) STUDY OF THE SIERRA LEONE AGRICULTURE LTD’S SUSTAINABLE OIL PALM PROJECT IN THE BKM CHIEFDOM-PORT LOKO DISTRICT
This advert serves to notify interested and/or persons/parties of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (EISA) study conducted for the Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd. (SLAL) in the Bureh, Kasseh and Maconteh (BKM) Chiefdoms of the Port Loko District, northern province of Sierra Leone. The Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd. is presently engaged in sustainable oil palm plantations in selected areas in all the three sections of the chiefdom for which lease agreements have been signed. In conformity with the Sierra Leone Environmental Protection Agency Act 2008 and the supplementary EPA Act 2010, SLAL Project needs to be planned and implemented in a manner that minimizes potential negative environmental and social impacts and accentuates positive impacts. This is expected to be achieved through the ESIA Process that CEMMATS Group Ltd. This is expected to be achieved through the ESIA Process that CEMMATS Group Ltd. Was contracted to undertake. The implementation of the ESIA process started in September 2011 and the reports were submitted in March 2012.
The Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) reports presented to the Environmental Protection Agency-Sierra Leone (EPA-SL) are to be presented to the affected and/or interested stakeholders during the public disclosure sessions for discussion. CEMMATS Group Ltd. and the Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd. propose to conduct the stakeholders’ engagement process at the following locations and dates at 9a.m.:
· Mange Court Barrie on Friday, 10th August 2012 for Bureh and Maconteh Sections;
· RC Primary School, Romene Village, Kasseh Section on Saturday, 11th August 2012 for Kasseh Section; and
· Archbishop Brosnaham Memorial Hall, Santanno House Howe Street Freetown on Wednesday, 15th August 2012.
This study was reported in two volumes titled:
· Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study of an Oil Palm Development Project in the Port Loko District prepared for the Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd.; and
· Community Development Action Plan (CDAP) for the Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd Oil Palm Project in the Port Loko District, Northern Sierra Leone.
The reports are now available for references purposes up to Tuesday 15th August 2012 at the following locations:
· The Environmental Protection Agency–Sierra Leone (EPA-SL) office, 3rd Floor Youyi Building;
· The Sierra Leone National Library , Rokel Street Freetown;
· CEMMATS Group Ltd. at 7A Cantonment Road, Beyoh House, off King Harman Road, Brookfield, Freetown;
· The Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd., 7 Bintumani Drive Aberdeen, Freetown;
· The Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd. Villa, Mange, Port Loko District;
· Port Loko Public Library, Port Loko District;
· The Chiefdom Authority, Bureh Section, BKM Chiefdom Port Loko District and
· The Chiefdom Authority, Kasseh Section BKM Chiefdom Port Loko District.
Stakeholders and/or interested persons/parties are invited to participate in the consultation process for the SLAL sustainable Oil Palm Plantation Development Project Public Disclosure at the above mentioned locations. Your input and any issues or insights that you may have regarding the project will be valuable.
Comments can be submitted verbally at the stakeholders’ workshop or in written format. Written comments must be posted to P.O box 318 Freetown or CEMMATS Group Ltd, 7A Cantonment Road, Off King Harman Road, Freetown or via email or telephone to the addresses provided below.
We look forward to your participation in the consultation and disclosure process.
Consultant : CEMMATS Group Ltd. Contact: Environmental Department
Project Proponent: Sierra Leone Agriculture Ltd.
Contact: Vinod Sharma Tel: 00232-78-229901
Email : email@example.com
© Copyright by Awareness Times
Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.