SIERRA LEONE GOVERNMENT
22 AUGUST, 2012
The general public is hereby informed that further to the August 16, 2012 Press Release on the outbreak of Cholera in the country, His Excellency the President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma has declared the Cholera outbreak in Sierra Leone a public health emergency. The situation requires a well coordinated and swift response from all Government agencies, and humanitarian emergency assistance from Development Partners. With ten districts and the Western Area reporting cases of Cholera, the Government of Sierra Leone is working assiduously with development partners, the media, NGOs, civil society and community groups, and the general public to reduce fatality rate and mitigate the risk of continued infections.
The general public is advised of the following:
• Cholera treatment is FREE in all government health facilities and cholera treatment centres(e.g. Macauley Street, Connaught Hospital, Wellington, 34 Military Hospital, Newton and Mabela)
• Always store drinking water in a clean, covered container placed on a raised platform
• Always wash fruits and vegetables with safe water before eating or peel completely
• Always cook food well (especially shell-fish and fish) and eat while hot
• Always cover all foods to protect from flies and dust
• Always wash all utensils with soap and safe water before and after use
• Always drink safe water (Boiled or chlorinated)
• Always wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet, before putting anything in your mouth (eating), handling food, and after caring for a sick person or cleaning a baby
Presidential Task Force on Cholera
© Copyright by Awareness Times
Newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone.